The Nicholson family is proud to remember Sidney and Ernest Nicholson on the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. Sidney died on October 7, 1916 at the battle of the Somme, one of 2,205 men who died on that day. Sally had the privilege of visiting the Shrouds of The Somme artist Rob Heard at his home prior to the display of 72,396 figures that he made to represent all the men who died at the Somme and who have no known grave. At the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park she then had the honour of laying the final Shroud in position on the opening day of the display, representing her Great-great Uncle Sidney. Ernest won the Military Cross in 1917, and survived to marry and have three children and seven grandchildren. He died aged 98 in 1993. We invite you to look at another entry on this blog, written in October 2016, the 100th anniversary of Sidney's death.
The church dates from the 13th century, but most of the present church was built in the 15th century. The tower and spire were built in the 13th and 14th century, and there is a Norman window above the tower arch. Major restoration was carried out in 1850 when a transept was added.
A memorial stone for "Poppet" and "Cuckoobaba".
Lily was evacuated from London to Cottingham from 1940-1945, and visited her adopted Cottingham family for the rest of her life.
The church was rebuilt in 1788 by John Wing, of limestone and ironstone ashlar.
Aged 100 years.
Robert Palmer and his wife Hester (she died in 1763) had five sons and one daughter. Their eldest son Robert died in infancy and is buried in St Ann's church in London, and their second son Geffrey is buried in this church under a window.
This is Northamptonshire's smallest church building, built in 1881. Pipewell was the site of a Cistercian abbey established in 1143, but that was suppressed as part of the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538, and demolished soon after.
The churches in Northamptonshire listed on this blog in October and November 2018 were all visited during a weekend spent near Corby to commemorate the first anniversary of the death of Martin on 23 September 2117. We think he would be pleased to know that his family are continuing his hobby, and would not mind our picture appearing on this page.
The tower was built in the fourteenth century. The rest of the church was almost completely rebuilt in 1880.
Two beautifully executed cross-stitch samplers including the names of Princess Eugenie and Princess Charlotte.
Memorial window to Captain Frank Beck, Sandringham land agent for King George V. He and his men, a "pals company" of men from the estate, sailed for Gallipolli, and were wiped out during the attack on Anafarta in Suvla Bay on August 12, 1915.
The church is used regularly by the Royal Family and Estate staff. It dates back in its present form to the 16th century, and houses many memorials to members and relations of the Royal Family from Queen Victoria onwards.
Alfred Ernest Albert, Duke of Saxe Coburg & Gotha, Duke of Edinburgh.
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.
Albert Victor Christian Edward, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, first born child of Albert Edward and Alexandra, Prince and Princess of Wales.
King George V.
Frederick III, German Emperor and King of Prussia, and Victoria Adelaide Mary Louise, German Empress and Queen of Prussia, Princess Royal of Great Britain and Ireland.
Victoria, Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India.
Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse, and Princess Alice Maud Mary, third child of Queen Victoria.
Window restored and rearranged by C E Kempe & Co. Wise men see the star, follow the star, Worship of Magi, before Herod. Centre light old glass. Six saints in tracery - Erasmus, Agnes, Stephen, Frances, Giles and Apollonia.
The silver altar and reredos were presented to Queen Alexandra by the American department store owner, Rodman Wanamaker, as a tribute to Edward VII
Frederick Hervey, domestic chaplain to King Edward VII and King George V.
Aged 103 years.
Alfred Amos was gamekeeper and head keeper on the estate for 43 years.
Edward Dodd was kennelman and head gamekeeper on the estate for many years.
Sheila MacKinnon was employed in the Royal Household for 27 years.
Clifford Hanslip was a member of the church choir for 55 years.
Alexander MacKinnon was farm manager on the Royal estate from 1937 - 1956.
Thomas H. Cook was in charge of the Royal gardens at Sandringham for 35 years.
Another member of the Cook family, Charles, was also head gardener to their majesties at Windsor and Sandringham from 1924 - 1952.
Prince John, fifth son of King George V and Queen Mary, died in 1919 aged 13 years.