The building probably dates from around 1150. The tower dates from the 15th century, with the upper stages from 1674. Rebuilding happened around 1483, and again in 1830-31 at a cist of £2,829, with the addition of a new chancel and lady chapel in the 20th century.
The Radstock Wells Way colliery disaster of 8 November 1839 caused the death of 12 men and boys. Eight of the victims were less than 20 years old, with Amos Dando being only 12 years old, and two others only 13 years old. The original stone, at the foot of the modern replacement, states that the disaster was believed to have been caused by the malicious cutting of the ropes supporting the miners' cage.